Class title: Math 6
For 6th graders
Head Teacher: Ms. Mary Marvin
Assistant Teacher: Ishaan Sinha
Twice a week:
Wednesdays, 7:00-8:00pm - Homework Hour
Winter/Spring semester 2022
Start date 01/05
No classes on 04/17, 04/20, 05/29, 06/01.
To join Math 6, students must have a thorough understanding of:
- place value to the millions place; multiplication and division of 3-digit by 2-digit numbers; order of arithmetic operations when performing calculations; properties of the number system (distributive, associative, commutative);
- Fractions: Addition and subtraction mixed numbers with different denominators; multiplication of fraction by fraction and fraction by whole number; using fractions to convert units of measurement. (No fraction division yet).
- Multiplication and division of decimals, including x and dividing by 10, 100 and 1000.
- Understanding of the topics of percentage, averages, ratio and rate at a beginning level.
- Be able to do 2 and 3-step word problems involving all of above concepts;
- More complicated perimeter and area of irregular shapes; angles in a triangle and quadrilateral.
I have taught Mathematics at SchoolPlus for 17 years, to students of all ages and levels from the earliest years of grade school, through advanced classes like AP Calculus. During this time, I have also been teaching in the Rutgers University Mathematics Department.